After a child has made the brave choice to disclose their abuse there is often is often the question “is my body ok?” We want to alleviate some of the stress from a child and caregivers mind. Because of that we have partnered with Cape Cod Healthcare and the Massachusetts Pediatric Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner program (PediSANE) to have a specially trained Nurse Practitioner on staff to ensure the best health and welfare of the child.
This specifically trained Nurse Practitioner is here to:
- Provide an onsite visual medical exam in a child-friendly setting
- Ensure the health and safety of child through a non-invasive exam “using a do no harm approach”
- Identify, educate and provide referrals for instances of Sexually Transmitted Infections and/or pregnancy
- To photo-document and collect evidence if indicated.
- Support the child in their wellness.
During the exam, the Nurse Practitioner does not:
- Use any invasive tools
- Cause any pain
- Interview the child
- Speculate if anything did or did not happen
All medical exams are completed privately on site and with parental permission. Our PediSANE can act as a liaison and consultant to the child’s pediatrician as well.